As I sit here this morning, there is a cool North wind blowing. It’s a reminder that summer is quickly coming to an end, here in Colorado. This weekend, however, was gorgeous and we harvested more zucchini, trimmed back our tomato plants and picked a few ripe ones. Have I mentioned how much I love harvest season?? Well, in the spirit of zucchini pickin’, I’ll share another one of our favorite recipes.
Last year, in a desperate search for new and different ways to use zucchini, I came across this recipe from the Clever Housewife and it quickly became a family favorite.
You’ll need zucchini and yellow squash (I grew yellow and green zucchini this year, so that’s what I used), an onion, basil, dried thyme, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and a white or cheddar cheese (I used Monterrey Jack).
Slice your squash. I used the medium slice plate on my mandolin. (Side-note: If you do not have one of these nifty little gadgets, I highly recommend purchasing one! It is a wonderful little thing!)
Thinly slice your onion. I used a yellow onion this time, but my favorite is red. Add squash, onion, finely chopped basil, thyme, garlic powder and both kinds of cheese to a large bowl. Mix it well.
Dump it all into a baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes. When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top. Put the dish back into the oven and bake it 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked.
Serve it hot! Get your helping first, because it may not last! At least that’s what happens in my family.
Cheesy Zucchini Bake
2 medium-sized zucchini, sliced
2 medium-sized yellow squash
2 – 4 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp thinly sliced onion (red, green or yellow – your choice)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup white cheese, shredded (I used Monterrey Jack)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (plus 1/2 cup for the top)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil.
2. Slice squash and onions. Finely chop basil.
3. Combine zucchini, squash, onions, basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper in bowl and mix.
4. Place mixture into the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
5. When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top. Put the dish back into the oven and bake it 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked.
*You are welcome to link back to my blog, but please do not use my words without written permission. All photos on this blog are the property of Prairie Gulch Farm.*