Spring has sprung and the bugs have come. Now, granted, here in Colorado we don’t have the kind of bugs that other places do, but we do have our fair share.
Living on a farm, we have lots and lots of flies. Flies are just gross. The reason for all of the flies? Poop. Lots of animals = lots of poop. We can’t seem to compost it as fast as it comes. So, then I’m left with trying to figure out how to keep the flies out of my kitchen, because to me there is almost nothing more disgusting than flies buzzing around my head while I’m trying to cook food. I know, I know. It comes with the territory – but, not in my house.
I have scoured the internet and have found some great recipes for making your own natural bug sprays and repellents to deter those nasty little things and other pests that make their way into your house and garden. I also have a few that I use myself and love.
- *Garden Bug Spray by Weed em’ & Reap
- Natural Fly Spray by The Prairie Homestead
- Homemade Fly Trap by The Prairie Homestead (I have made these and love them. They work!)
- Fly Repellent by Fresh Eggs Daily. (I can’t wait to give this a try! Super cute to set on a table outside)
- Keep Bugs Away Naturally with these tricks by Day2Day Joys
- Mosquito Repellent by Accidentally Green
- Natural Insect Repellent for Camping by Green Boot Living
- Natural Spider Repellent by Everyday Roots
- Ant Control by Small Notebook (My favorite repellent is 1 c ACV, 2 Tbsp liquid dish soap, 2 c water – mix in a spray bottle and go to town)
- Best Homemade Ant Killer by The Creek Line House (I’m currently in an all-out war against an ant colony invasion. I am giving this a try – I’ll let you know my results *UPDATE* This stuff is amazing! 24 hours and the ants are gone!!)
Let me know if you have any tried and true natural remedies for those unwanted critters.
*You are welcome to link back to my blog, but please do not use my words without written permission. All photos on this blog are the property of Prairie Gulch Farm.*